Monday, March 05, 2007

Thumbs up for the heavy handed


I do not sit in an office all day; sometimes I have to do some manual labour in order to stop my brain from being compressed by electronic gadgetry. Living on a farm, I find that much of the manual work involves lift heavy old bits of machinery, fence posts and the like.
After a relatively short period I noticed the callouses on my hands getting worse and the skin hardening up on my hands. My wife noticed it too and I was instructed to use lashings of hand cream several times a day. I tried this from time to time but to no avail. A local friend supplies special aloe vera products that everyone swears by, so a couple of tubes were bought and given a thorough testing. Even the local vet buys the aloe vera products to keep sutures supple on animals that have recently had minor surgery. It feels great on your hand but just does not last very long; it becomes a very expensive business.
After a couple of months my hands were getting worse rather than better. Doing the washing up and bathing children made it worse still. I started using latex and PVC gloves to stop the dirt getting ingrained into the cracks in the skin.
These small cracks appear in the skin when it is really dry and as the skin dries further the skin shrinks and the cracks enlarge. They tend to get longer and more painful as the day goes on. Occasionally they bleed too.
I spent a few minutes on the web searching for a cure.... There appear to be none that are practical and actually work. There are endless ointments and potions (all of which cost a fortune). Shearing sheep is considered good as fleeces contain a substance called lanolin and shearers always have soft hands, but I can't give up the day job to shear sheep.
None of the ointments seem to last for any length of time. Twenty minutes to half an hours seems to about standard until they have evaporated or been absorped completly. Some ointents really make the cracks sting and none of them stop the dry skin from becoming dry again...short of putting on more cream every half an hour.

By accident I made a great discovery. By putting a tiny amount of Superglue in the cracked skin and bonding it together, the pain immediately stops. It prevents the cracks snagging, pulling or getting bigger when they get caught on a rough surface. And it provides instant protection in the form of an acrylic scab over the wound.
A tiny bottle of super glue would cure hundreds of cracked hands for a few quid, while those precious ointments do not work (in my view), last no time at all and cost a fortune.
However they do usually smell a good deal more pleasant than superglue!

3 Comments:

At 8:55 AM , Blogger Ashleigh said...

I have cracks that have appeared in the lines in my fingerprints, added to the lovely dirt encrusted dry skin along the sides of my fingers. Man oh man does it hurt when dirt gets into those cracks! I'll try your superglue remedy, esp as I have now been loaded up on antibiotic cream because I got an infection in the cuts on my hands. Who thought gardening could be so hazardous? ;)

 
At 2:11 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

Hi. I'm new here and enjoying your blog. I'm concerned for you using super glue in wounds like that!

There's a product we have here called liquid bandaid that was made for wounds that might be better for you. Also, I've read from other gardeners (I don't know if they do such labor as you do), who say Burts bees hand salve works good. Here's a link:

http://www.burtsbees.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10751&storeId=10101&productId=10187&langId=-1&categoryId=&showSubCategory=yes

 
At 6:02 PM , Blogger PollyBee said...

Yep, and there is a product I use called Germolene New Skin. Get it at any chemist's. But beware: it works a bit like Superglue on its own lid. You should put some vaseline round the top of the bottle first time you use it. As nothing really seems to work for me, I think I might start up a gardening hands forum on my own blog, as this is a problem in many different ways for many people.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home